Sunday, July 25

Mine's a pint





I have not been a regular pub drinker since my early twenties but have recently started going to my local with a friend for a beer or two. All a bit "Sliding Doors" really as I mostly listen and laugh incredulously at how other peoples' lives and problems develop into full blown crises. Going to the pub used to be easy. "I'll have a schooner of Reschs" doesn't work any more as my local serves over twenty different beers ranging from full strength to gassy low alcoholic and chemical tasting brews (like making love in a boat - f@#$ing close to water as we used to say). Also I am mystified by the beer glass sizes, though in reality they have not probably changed much in time. Half a pint in New South Wales is a middy, in Queensland a pot, in the Northern Territory a handle and in SA a schooner. Even a pint is different in South Australia where you only get 425 mls rather than the 570 mls in all other states. Crow eaters also only get 285 mls in their 425 mls schooner.  At least a jug is 1.14 litres wherever you drink and since that's what we drank then I never needed to know the other sizes!


I have recently started to contemplate brewing my own beer again after a thirty year gap. The last experiment in my wardrobe at university exploded and ruined my only suit so this time it will be on the verandah. Might be a little bit too cold for the yeast to work properly this time of year so the first batch is taking a while. Might look into growing some hop plants and buying small quantities of malting barley to see if I can produce a drinkable drop. Then again it might just be simpler and more entertaining to order a glass from my local.


Cheers.

No comments: